This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
I love gluten free french toast. I usually just make a super simple version but wanted to try one that could be made easily for a larger crowd. This is a simple gluten free brunch casserole that feeds quite a few people and can easily be made dairy free as well!
Brunch seems to be the popular meal for potlucks and if you’re like me needing to be gluten free there often isn’t much available (or safe) when getting together with a big group of people. This casserole fills me up in one serving and can be adjusted to your favorite flavors.
GLUTEN FREE BERRY FRENCH TOAST
- 10-12 slices gluten free bread toasted
- 4 cups berries (your choice)
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray 9"x13" pan (or 3qt casserole dish) with non stick spray or coconut oil
- Line bottom of pan with the bread overlapping each piece.
- Press bread down to sort of mold together.
- Spread berries over the toast in the pan.
- Whisk eggs, milk, syrup and spices together well.
- Pour over the berries and bread.
- Bake uncovered for 50-65 min until done.
You could make a cream sauce like you would for bread pudding as well since this isn’t super sweet. Either way it’s nice and light but you still feel like you’re getting a treat!
Top with whipped cream, butter and syrup or just as is.
I’ve tried this with different brands of bread and one doesn’t seem to work any better than the other so use your favorite or whatever is available! Since it soaks up all the liquid and bakes together nicely it should matter too much (as long as it’s all gluten free if that’s what you’re going for).