This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
We are big soup fans in our house and we can be pretty picky. We’ve tried lots of “ok” soup recipes but this one is one of our favorites! Adapted from And Love it Too to meet our cooking style, this is a “go to” in our house for a fairly easy but definitely delicious Fall/Winter meal.
- 1 lb chopped uncured sugar free bacon
- 2 lbs sausage (sugar free, hot italian or savory seasoning)
- 1 large diced onion
- 4 good sized minced garlic cloves
- 2 peeled and chopped sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 can coconut milk or cream
- 1 - 2 bunches stems removed and chopped kale
- Chop bacon and fry in a large soup pot until well done.
- Remove from pot. Do not drain.
- Brown sausage in the same pot.
- Remove, but don't drain.
- Cook onions and garlic in the fat from bacon and sausage until soft or about 10 minutes.
- Add bacon, sausage, broth and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes
- Add chopped potatoes and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft (If they are bite sized it shouldn't take too long)
- Add coconut milk/cream and kale.
- Stir until mixed and kale has wilted.
- Serve hot.
Let me know if you try it and what you think! If you have kids that don’t like spicy foods try a milder sausage. Most of the “kick” will come from whatever sausage you go with.