We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PurinaDays2018 #PurinaDays #CollectiveBias
We have (and are still working on) our fair share of home renovation projects. I think the hardest so far was re-doing all the floors in the middle of July in Phoenix! I have definitely learned a few things about keeping EVERYONE in the house safe and happy during home renovations. Unfortunately we can’t explain to the dogs what’s happening (well, we can and I have but I’m not sure it helps much) so it’s our job to make sure they are safe and happy during all the crazy noises, messes, and whatever else a home renovation brings.
Before you start any renovation it’s important to try to make sure that you have everything you need. There’s nothing worse than making that 15th trip to the store because you ran out of something. AGAIN. Making good lists and stocking up help keep the last minute errands to a minimum so the job can get done quickly. This is true even if you aren’t doing the remodeling yourself. Little things like making dinner (if you have a kitchen) will become more difficult during renovations.
Tips for keeping dogs safe & happy during home renovations
- Allow them to sniff around safe areas before and after work is being done. There are SO many new smells around the house I know mine love to make sure they know what they’re smelling.
- Introduce them to new sounds slowly. If you can, run whatever machinery might be going during construction before you begin so they know what new sounds might be coming. One of us will make sure the dogs are safe and calm while the other runs the machine to introduce the sound from another room.
- Introduce them to people who will be working on your house. If work is being done where the dogs will need to pass through we always make sure they meet the people doing the work. This is usually their favorite part 😉
- Keep dogs in a safe area(s) at all times. I never underestimate my dogs being able to escape or get into something they shouldn’t so just be sure they have a safe area to stay or be with them at all times.
- Make sure they have plenty of water and are fed on their normal schedule.
- Keep their favorite food and maybe even a few special treats around just in case. Whenever there are big changes mine tend to eat a little less. If needed I like to add a bit of wet food to their normal dry diet to change things up and get them excited about breakfast or dinnertime.
- Pick up some new toys for them at the store to be sure they have plenty to keep them busy.
- Take them on walks and play with them as much as you can. In our house the more they exercise the less they get in to!
- Bring them with you on errands when you can. When we did our full floor renovation the dogs came with us everywhere since I didn’t want to leave them locked in a bedroom for too long. We made lots of trips to the parks and any store that allows dogs inside! They thought this was the best week ever.
- Stock up on food so you don’t run out of their regular or favorites!
Right now is the PERFECT time to visit Tractor Supply Co. (find one near you HERE if you’ve never been) because you can purchase all sorts of needs for your home/farm/life but you can also stock up on dog food during their annual Purina Days! This is their 5th year doing this promotion and it’s the perfect time to make sure you won’t be running out of dog food any time soon. I love that you can get so many things in one place because cutting down on errands makes such a huge difference. Keep a look out for the free standing insert in the paper this week, running from 3/28 to 4/2. There are many great offers going!
We visited this weekend after Chance had a checkup at the vet. He LOVES running errands with us – especially to Tractor Supply Co. He loves all the smells and noises when we go in (plus all the attention he gets). Since leashed dogs are allowed to visit it is a perfect place to shop during home renovations. On our last trip Chance made sure we picked up our Purina® Pro Plan® Savor® Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula and Purina® Pro Plan® Chicken & Rice Wet Dog Food (which is part of the Purina Days promotion where if you buy Buy Pro Plan 24-lb.+ you can get 2 13-oz. cans free). Chance’s vet actually suggested we switch to Purina several months ago and both dogs have been doing AWESOME with it. They love the hard kibble combined with tender, shredded pieces. Their vet wanted them to try it for the natural prebiotic fiber, sourced from wheat bran that helps promote digestive health and the Vitamin A and linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid, for healthy skin and coat).
He also picked out a new toy or two for him and his sister Kona.
Do you have any tips to add? Every renovation is different so I’d love to add more tips if you’ve found anything that works great for you!