This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
We went through a big Bananas Foster phase a couple of years ago. The boys asked for it all the time. It’s a fun dessert that seems a little intimidating, but it’s really not! It’s fun to make to impress your family or to make for friends when they’re over for dinner.
Note – this post contains affiliate links.
This recipe is for 1 large dessert or 2 small. This is best made in small batches (plus you’ll want to see the flambé more than once).
To prep, I like to scoop all the ice cream ahead of time and put the bowls in the freezer. That way they’re ready when the bananas foster is and you can just grab and go.
Here’s the step by step but you can grab the printable recipe below (scroll to the bottom for a video):
First cut up a banana. Doesn’t matter how – you can be fancy, or not.
Then add 2 Tbsp of butter, 2 Tbsp of brown sugar and however much cinnamon and nutmeg you like (or don’t add it at all if you don’t want to) to a pre-heated non stick pan Medium – Medium High should work well. I just got a GreenPan (my 13 year old asked for it) and it’s worked well so far. We usually just use a cast iron, but the non stick works better for us for this.
Once the brown sugar/butter mixture is nice and bubbly – add your bananas.
Stir and cover with the deliciousness.
If it’s bubbling, the bananas are covered and hot then you’re ready for the action.
Remove the pan from the heat source and add 2 TBSP of dark rum to the pan and allow to heat up just for a few seconds.
When the flames reduce you can return the pan to the heat source and swirl until it goes out.
Grab your pre-scooped ice cream and pour on top.
- 1 banana
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- cinnamon & nutmeg to taste
- 2 Tbsp dark rum
- vanilla ice cream
- Prep by scooping ice cream into bowls and storing in the freezer until you're ready (this keeps it moving if you're making more than one batch)
- Slice banana
- Place butter, brown sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg in a pre-heated non stick pan.
- Stir until combined, melted and bubbly.
- Add bananas and stir to heat up and coat well.
- Remove pan from heat and add rum.
- Allow the rum to heat for a few seconds, then light with a stick lighter (safety first)
- Once the flame goes down a bit you can add the pan back to the heat source and gently stir until the flame is extinguished.
- Pour over ice cream and serve!
Have you tried making bananas foster before?