We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
This post is sponsored by Kohl’s. I was paid for this post and received the included home goods as compensation.
If you have small bedrooms or even just a small space for your Holiday guests to stay in, here are some useful tips to prep that small room so that they’ll have everything they could need to make their stay comfortable.
We have pretty small bedrooms in this house. We opted for a bit more living space and a larger den/office but that means less space for guests when they stay over. Since they sleep in one of the teen boy’s rooms, a bit of prep is needed beforehand. I let both my boys choose how to set up their rooms. They both have their beds pushed against the wall to allow for more bookshelf storage space on the other walls and more room in the middle of the room for sprawling out. Being totally honest – this is what either one of their rooms looks like on a typical day.
Obviously, a bit of work is needed to spruce up the space before we can let guests stay here! My oldest doesn’t like a lot of blankets so I didn’t even have a proper comforter for his room. I went shopping at Kohls since they’re having a great Home Sale to stock up on winter bedding and anything else you’d need to get ready for holiday guests.
I got a Cuddl Duds Home Gray Lodge Plaid 4-piece Comforter Set, Cuddl Duds Solid Throw Pillow, Columbia Cooling Sheet Set, The Big One® Supersoft Plush Throw, The Big One® Jersey Throw, and The Big One® Blackout 2-pack James Solid Stripe Window Curtain.
Here’s how it all came together.
We are loving the combos of layers, great patterns, and cozy fabrics.
How to Prep a Small Room for Holiday Guests
Ready for some tips and tricks on how to prep a small room for holiday guests? Here’s what I’ve found works for us.
- Clean up – this is obvious, but we do an extra cleaning when guests stay over. Baseboards, blinds, wash the windows, vacuum the fans etc. We want their space to be as clean and cozy as possible!
- Lots of layers – since everyone likes to sleep at different temperatures we love to add LOTS of layers. The cozy flannel Cuddl Duds comforter set we bought is perfect for winter, but we also added in some The Big One throws for extra warmth or to pull out and use while watching tv in the living room.
- Pillows – just like the layers, I love to give pillow options. Different types and comfort levels allow guests to pick just the right one.
- Seating area – even if you don’t have a large room a small chair can act as seating, a spot for a bag, a place to put bedside necessities etc. This chair can be used at the small desk we have set up at the end of the bed or left to the side to act as a nightstand.
- Tray – I love leaving a tray in the room, this helps collect belongings, gives a place to keep water or a midnight snack, and just makes the room feel welcome.
- Storage – a basket or bins gives them space to throw dirty laundry or anything they might want to take out of their suitcase but keep from piling up on the floor.
- Light (or not) – blackout curtains help guests control light (especially if coming from a different time zone). You can also leave a nightlight out on a shelf or desk so they can choose to plug it in if they like.
- Easy access to plugs – if all of your outlets are covered or hard to get to, consider plugging in an extension or strip to make charging devices easier for guests.
- Space in the closet – clean out a bit of space in the closet (even if you have to move some clothes to another closet) and leave some open hangers so they can hang up anything they need.
- White noise machine – even if guests have slept over before, sometimes giving the option of a white noise machine can make all the difference in a great night’s sleep for them.
Home Sale to Stock Up at Kohls
Kohl’s has lots of quality home essentials at great prices to make stocking up for holiday guests easy! Here are some really great deals they have going on for the holidays:
The sale is running from 11/7 -11/18 (unless otherwise noted) and includes:
- $59.99 Columbia Performance Flannel Sheet Sets Orig. $119.99
- $29.99 TWIN Cuddl Duds Flannel, Fleece, or Microfiber Sheet Sets. Orig $49.99
- $89.99 FULL/QUEEN Cuddl Duds cozy quilts Orig $159.99
- $99.99 FULL/QUEEN Cuddl Duds 4pc flannel comforter set Orig $199.99
- $49.99 All Sizes The Big One quilt and sham sets Orig $99.99-$139.99 (Valid 11/7-11/12)
- $69.99 All Sizes The Big One complete bedding set with sheets Orig $119.99- $179.99 (Valid 11/7-11/12)
- $59.99 Standard/Queen Serta StayCool memory foam bed pillows. Reg $119.99
- $149.99 TWIN Serta Soothing Cool gel memory foam mattress toppers. Reg $299.99
We bought the Columbia cooling sheet set because Parker loved it after trying the ones we bought, but I’ll be picking up the performance flannel sheet sets as well for the winter since we are super happy with how well our others are holding up.
The CuddlDuds Flannel Comforter set is the perfect winter comforter set to welcome guests since it’s so easy, cozy, and looks great! The Big One has some great quilt or comforter sets on sale as well to get another room (or rooms) ready.
A fresh, clean room with lots of cozy layers will make guests feel welcome and right at home when they visit for the holidays!
My blog may contain links to other websites. I am not responsible for the privacy policies of those other websites. When you click on a link, your information may be collected by those websites so I encourage you to read their privacy policies. Any affiliate links are not associated with Kohl’s.