We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
Sponsored by the Village of Ruidoso
We obviously love traveling and checking out new places. There are so many amazing cities not only around the country but also within driving distance. We’ve been making lists of places we’d like to visit and what we’d like to do as a family when we’re visiting. I was checking out the website of our blog partners at Discover Ruidoso and I think we’ve got a pretty good list going! Ruidoso is said to be the best-kept mountain biking and fly fishing secret so I bet you can guess what’s first on the list!
Things to do in Ruidoso, New Mexico
Here’s our list so far of things to do in Ruidoso:
- Fly Fishing – If you’ve followed me for very long, you know the family loves fly fishing. You can fish at Grindstone Lake, Alto Lake, Rio Ruidoso , Seeping Springs Trout Lakes, Mescalero Lake… So many options, so little time. When picking a place to fly fish, we try to find a spot where the boys and I can wander around a bit if we get tired of waiting for Jared to finish 😉
- Hiking – Hiking is always high on the list because you get to be outdoors, take photos, and get some exercise in! I love to search online (and on Instagram) to decide on which trails to do. Some of the trails I was looking at are North Cedar Creek Trail, Perk Ridge Trail, Grindstone Lake Loop, Lookout Mountain… so many places to explore. There are actually 41 miles of trails within 5 minutes of Ruidoso’s midtown shopping district so you don’t even have to drive if you don’t want to!
- Biking – We aren’t huge bikers but if there are great trails we love to rent a bike and go out for a few hours. It’s such a great way to explore a new area.
- Golf – With one kid trying out for the high school golf team, golf has suddenly become a part of our travels. Ruidoso has amazing weather and six public courses in the area to choose from.
- Day Trips – There are a couple of places that are high on our list of wanting to visit already that can be visited from a “home base” of Ruidoso. Carlsbad Caverns National Park and White Sands National Monument are two of them!
- Wineries & Breweries – One of our favorite ways to find unique and off the beaten path things to do in new cities is to visit local wineries and breweries and talk to the locals! Besides trying amazing new wines or beers, the people working (or even better, the owners) of these local establishments usually have great ideas for things to do or “must sees”.
Especially in summer, the gorgeous weather and the mountain views for days is enough to make Ruidoso a perfect option for a family great escape.