We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
I LOVE living in Phoenix. There is so much to do (yes, even in Summer) and there is quite a bit to explore that is totally free (besides maybe the gas to get there if you’re driving around). This list contains free things to do in and around the Phoenix metro area. From outdoor activities to great museums, here are 10 free things to do in Phoenix, AZ.
10 Free Things to Do in Phoenix
View this post on Instagram
- Downtown Phoenix Museums or Exhibits – there are several FREE museums or exhibits to explore in downtown Phoenix which is great if you’re already downtown but my son and I have even driven into town just to walk around and explore. He loves the Phoenix Police Museum but you can also visit the Wells Fargo History Museum, the Arizona Capital Museum, art exhibits at City Hall, the George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center, Heritage Square (the museum has a tour fee but you can walk around the square and read about the buildings for free or the cost of parking).
- Hiking. Phoenix is known for its GREAT hiking and it’s such a great free activity for solo travelers, couples, and even families. Check out AllTrails.com to get a good look at each trail. Some may have a parking fee but most in the area do not.
- Check out the street art. Roosevelt Row is a creative downtown district that is walkable (or bikeable) and is always changing. You can get a map on the non-profit’s site or just keep an eye out when you’re driving around downtown to spot some great art. You never know when you might want to hop out and take a photo!
- Take the trolley for a little tour around Scottsdale. Be sure to check out Old Town & snap a photo in front of the LOVE statue!
- Pack a picnic and head to the park. There are SO many great parks in the Phoenix area. Many with more than just grass & a playground. Some favorites for an afternoon of fun that you might want to check out are Papago Park, Steele Indian School Park, Encanto Park, Sahuaro Ranch Park, McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park and Tempe Beach Park.
- Head to the water. You can drive up to Lake Pleasant, walk along Tempe Town Lake, or even window shop and walk along the Scottsdale Waterfront. If you have little ones, there are MANY splash pads to choose from depending on which part of town you’re exploring.
- Antique browsing in Historic Downtown Glendale. Even if you don’t have money to spend there is SO much to see browsing the shops in Historic Downtown Glendale. Even my teens are up for this every once in a while!
- Take a behind the scenes tours. Yep, there are several free tours you can participate in and around Phoenix. Check out PING Golf (you’ll need to call for reservations but there is no fee), Cerreta Candy Company, Queen Creek Olive Mill, or The Orpheum Theatre.
- Live Music – many shopping centers and outdoor areas offer live music different times of the year. The Village at Arrowhead does it seasonally and we’ve been often, Desert Ridge Marketplace seems to always have something fun going on, Glendale has a Summer band series, and there seems to always be bars and coffee shops around featuring some great new artists.
- Take a million photos of the epic Phoenix sunsets. I’ve lived here my entire life and I still can’t stop taking pictures of the epic Phoenix sunsets. You can watch the sun set from the top of any hiking trail (don’t forget to pack a flashlight and/or headlamp just in case you don’t get down as fast as you thought you might), a Different Pointe of View has a bar on the patio that you can visit without making dinner reservations, check out the bat cave for the sunset AND a view of some bats, or even Arizona Falls.
View this post on Instagram
I can’t with this view tonight. SO good 😍😍 #westinkierlandpartner It was the most gorgeous, cool, rainy day in Scottsdale & the best afternoon/evening for our @westinkierland Father’s Day staycation. They have all kinds of fun activities going on this summer & it’s always one of our favorite night spots to relax on the patio with family or friends. How’s your weekend looking?! #westinkierland #scottsdale #familytravel #az365 #arizona #visitarizona #desert #golf #golfcourse #sunset #troon #getoutside #staycation