I am serving up The Nutro™ Company for Chance and Kona as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars. #HonestToDog
We travel with our dogs often. Day trips, weekend trips to grandmas at the beach or, most recently, a week + road trip in an RV!
Traveling with dogs can make travel less stressful because you don’t have to worry about finding someone to watch them, worrying about the new crazy neighbors stressing them out when you’re gone, or worrying that they are missing you so much that they won’t eat. Since we’ve done it so much I thought I’d make a list of our favorite tips and what we bring when traveling with Chance and Kona.
One thing that we started a few years ago that makes life super easy is pre-sorting their food into individual bags. 1 bag = 1 meal. We’ve been feeding the pups h NUTRO™ Rotations™ (a grain free dog food) that they have been LOVING because they have such a great variety of flavors that I can mix without worrying about digestive troubles (because who wants to deal with THAT while on vacation).
They both have been doing great on their new food and scarf it right down. I’ve noticed that they’ve been sniffing their food each time to see what flavor they got for the night. They know that they’ve been getting different recipes so I wonder if they are trying to tell me their favorites lol!
By putting their food into individual bags (that then go into their overnight bags with their names on them) not only do I not have to worry about how much to scoop out for them, but the boys and more importantly grandma knows how much. She’s always wanting to help by feeding her granddogs and having their food in their bags makes meal time fool proof for anyone on vacation, at the campsite etc.
We also have some items that you may not think about that we’ve found to be super helpful to bring on trips with your furry family members.
- Pre-sorted food (I always pack a few days extra)
- A bag just for their stuff so you always know where it is
- Favorite toys
- Travel bowl (make sure your dog likes to drink/eat out of them mine can be picky on their favorite types
- Nail clippers (these come in handy when you least expect it)
- Poop bags
- Towel (WHY do they always find the water/mud anywhere we go)
- Shampoo (see above)
- Blankets from home (to keep other surfaces clean and for a familiar smell)
- Lots of extra water
- Copy of license and rabies vaccination (just in case you go somewhere that needs proof)
- Research areas before you go to make sure you know the rules for pets on leash/off leash, breed restrictions etc.
- If you don’t travel much, practice being out at home before you leave. Take your dog to local restaurants and stores where they are allowed to practice their manners.
- Extra collar/leash. The last time we were at the beach somehow Chance lost his collar in the water so it’s always good to have an extra on hand!
What are your favorite items to take when traveling with dogs?
®/™Trademarks of © The Nutro Company 2015