One of our favorite restaurants in Phoenix has an appetizer that we can never turn down. House made potato chips, sour cream, salmon with the perfect little bits of radishes and it’s SO good (but also simple) here is a fun version to go with the food we eat most often around here – Mexican! These Mexican Sweet Potato Crisps are gluten free, full of flavor and perfect for a side dish or appetizer.
Broiling these make them super quick to make too. If you have a deep fryer you could also deep fry these for that perfect crunch, but the broiler does a fairly good job as well. Sort of nachos, but much more “fancy” these are great for families or an adult dinner party.
This uses already baked sweet potatoes – I love baking sweet potatoes with Nom Nom Paleo’s recipe but for this recipe just a simple wrap in foil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes is good. Enough to get them soft but not squishy where you couldn’t slice them.
- 2 Baked sweet potatoes
- 1 Tsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp white pepper
- 1 Tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup queso fresco
- 1 Avocado seeded
- 1 Tbs cilantro
- 2 Limes
- Cut sweet potatoes width-wise into thin circular slices.
- Add spices on top.
- Place sweet potatoes in the broiler for 2-3 minutes until crisp.
- Slice the white cheese and avocado into bite size pieces.
- Put two pieces of white cheese and one piece of avocado on top of each sweet potato crisp.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime juice.
- Repeat until ingredients are finished.
- Serve and enjoy.
So fun right?! If you need it a bit spicier just add some green taco sauce over the top. Serve these as single bit sized pieces or on a little plate like “fancy” nachos.